Dry Eye Treatment
Find relief from dry, itchy, irritated eyes.
Dry eyes affect millions of people in the United States. It is estimated that as many as 4.88 million Americans over the age of 50 suffer from this uncomfortable condition.
Schedule an Appointment
Let us help you find a treatment option that brings you the relief you need.
What are the common symptoms of dry eye?
Everyone experiences dry eye differently because there are so many potential underlying causes.
Typical symptoms include:
- Redness or eyes that appear irritated and bloodshot
- Consistent burning or tingling sensations in the eyes
- Eyes that feel itchy or as if they have something in them
- Increased sensitivity to bright lights or sunlight
- Excessive tearing, or eyes that always appear watery
What causes dry eye?
There are many potential causes of dry eye.
In some cases, the cause is obvious, such as environmental irritants or short-term inflammation.
Some of the other causes of chronic dry eye problems include:
- Disease of the meibomian glands
- Certain diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, Sjögren's syndrome, thyroid disease, and lupus
- Defects that affect the eyelid or shape of the eye
- Certain medications
- Contact lenses
- Having refractive eye surgery, such as LASIK
- Being in smoke, wind, or a very dry climate
- Looking at a computer screen for a long tie, reading, and other activities that reduce blinking
- Deficiency of aqueous fluids
Because the underlying causes vary, treatment methods after diagnosis will also vary according to the patient. It is also not uncommon for there to be more than one cause for dry eye.
How is dry eye diagnosed and treated?
Through imaging of the meibomian glands, clinical examination of the ocular surface and eyelids, and screening for certain conditions, we are able to diagnose and provide treatment for dry eye disease.
Some of the typical treatments include:
- Prescription eye drops such as Xiidra, Restasis, Cequa, and Eysuvis to combat inflammation
- Oasis preservative free artificial tears
- Omega-3 supplements from Nordic Naturals
- Treating eyelid meibomian glands with heat therapy
- Proper eyelid hygiene with Pure&Clean Lid Prep
- Low-dose antibiotics or anti-inflammatories
- Punctal plugs to prevent tears from draining from the eye as quickly
Dry eyes are not only uncomfortable — they can also be bad for the health of your eyes. Request an appointment at Isthmus Eye Care to find relief.
Schedule an appointment at one of our convenient locations.