Emergency Eye Exams
If you are experiencing a critical eye emergency, call one of our office locations for options.
Our staff and doctors can talk with you about your concern and may offer a range of options based upon your situation. Clinic visits, prescriptions for treatments, and referral recommendations are among the various options for eye emergencies. If you are experiencing an emergency situation that requires immediate medical attention please seek care at your nearest Urgent Care or Emergency Room or call 911.
Is it an emergency?
If you think you have an emergency, it is best to trust your instinct and get immediate help.
Here are some common situations that should be considered urgent:
- Eye infections
- Foreign objects in the eye, such as small shards of glass or metal
- Cuts or punctures of the eye or eyelid
- Chemical exposure causing pain or vision problems
- Sudden vision loss or change in your vision
- Scratches caused by foreign objects
- Sudden onset of floaters or flashes of light
Can I do basic first aid at home?
In an emergency, there is no substitution for experienced medical care. But here are a few guidelines you can follow in specific emergencies:
- If you have chemicals in your eyes, flush your eyes with water for 15 minutes and don't cover the affected eye.
- If there is a foreign body in the eye, avoid rubbing and try to gently rinse away the debris.
- If you have sustained a major blow to your eye, use a cold compress to prevent swelling.
The best way to protect yourself from eye emergencies is to educate yourself about the risks and act accordingly.
Make sure you wear protective goggles in situations where your eyes are at risk. Keep a first aid kit that includes a rigid eye shield, eyewash, and sterile gauze in any area where your eye could be exposed to damage.
If you need emergency eye care help, call Isthmus Eye Care for assistance.
“By far the best experience I’ve ever had. I couldn’t stop talking about my positive experience to my husband when I got home. Everyone was very nice, knowledgeable, and attentive. Very welcoming environment with such a positive and friendly vibe. Everyone was so professional and just...happy! It made me want to work there too! Lol. Highly recommend! Dr. Callie M. was great! Can’t wait to be back in a year.”